Indore, The situation regarding deaths caused by contaminated water in the Bhagirathpura area of Indore is becoming increasingly serious. The death toll has now reached 20. However, the report submitted by the state government to the High Court mentions only four deaths. The health department, on the other hand, has reported six deaths, leading to a dispute over the actual figures. During a press conference at the BJP state office on Wednesday, Chief Minister Dr. Mohan Yadav, in response to a question on this matter, said that the government would provide relief to the families of those whose deaths have been registered. He also stated that the government would not get bogged down in statistics and that the loss of even one life was painful for them. The Chief Minister said that the administration had determined the number of deaths based on post-mortem reports, but this was not the final figure.
Officials said that the administration is adopting a humane approach and is investigating even suspected cases and providing financial assistance. So far, compensation of Rs. 2 lakh each has been given to 18 families, and two new names have been added to the list. Officials said that no affected family would be deprived of assistance. Therefore, the decision has been made to provide relief to everyone.
It is worth noting that Indore has consistently won the title of India's cleanest city for eight consecutive years. Amidst this, an incident of several people falling ill and dying due to contaminated water came to light at the end of December 2025. A widespread outbreak of diarrhea and vomiting occurred due to the supply of contaminated drinking water in the Bhagirathpura area of the city, affecting thousands of people. Initial investigations revealed a leak in the main drinking water pipeline beneath a public toilet near the Bhagirathpura police station. The sewage from the toilet directly mixed with the pipeline water because a proper septic tank had not been constructed. Indore's drinking water comes from the Narmada River via a pipeline. This leak resulted in sewage containing fecal bacteria mixing with the drinking water, causing a serious infection. The tender for replacing the old pipeline in this area was issued in August 2025, but the work was delayed.